WAS Re: Sauropod drinking -Reply

Elephants have been found swimming as far as twenty or so miles out to
sea. Apparently they enjoy a dip every once in a while and they may
have expanded their range that way.

Wiwaxia

"the Rieglers" <herricks@cin.net> wrote  re sauropods:

>They could still wade, or swim( which brings ludicrous imagery to my
mind,
I picture
>them paddling like a dog, I don't know, it's the only way I can imagine it)
>It hardly seems possible for them to have swam decently.

Well, elephants are generally considered the closest living analogue for
sauropod
limb construction & locomotion, and my understanding is that elephants
are
quite good swimmers.

(There's an illustration or two of swimming sauropods in GSPaul's
_Predatory
Dinosaurs_ if anybody's interested.)

Jeffrey Willson <jwillson@harper.cc.il.us>