Re: Sauropod drinking

On Tuesday, July 14, 1998, Jack said:

>Still, what does anyone think about them going into the water to their
shoulders to lessen the distance up the throat for water to pass?<

It seems to me that a terrestrial animal such as a sauropod would be
putting itself at greater risk from predators by entering the water. For
that reason, I doubt that your solution would offer an advantage from an
evolutionary point of view. I prefer Brian Franczak's idea that they
simply submerged thier entire snout to drink. This solves the problem
nicely, allows them to drink without immersing themselves and offers a
neat explanation of the placement of the nostrils high on the head.