Resting Sauropods

Subject:   Resting Sauropods                                 10:39 AM
7/14/98

  While we're all letting our noodles drift from little therapods to Giant
Sauropods I'd like some to hear some educated  guesses regarding how they
rested.  Did they lie down, or stand up.  Do you think they could lie around
in water/mud like modern elephants and hippos?  How could they stand up if
they were lying on their sides?  Would such a reclined pose put a lot of
stress on their internal organs?  Perhaps they kneeled like elephants( there
goes that obvious assumption again).  What problems does a columnar leg
structure pose to lying down or kneeling, or what benefits are gained if they
slept standing up?  Thoughts, opinions anecdotes?

  David Krentz