Re: Sauropod drinking

On 14 Jul 1998, Norton, Patrick wrote:

> It seems to me that a terrestrial animal such as a sauropod would be
> putting itself at greater risk from predators by entering the water. For
> that reason, I doubt that your solution would offer an advantage from an
> evolutionary point of view. I prefer Brian Franczak's idea that they
> simply submerged thier entire snout to drink. This solves the problem
> nicely, allows them to drink without immersing themselves and offers a
> neat explanation of the placement of the nostrils high on the head.

Thanks for your response.  I agree with you (and Brian) in the putting the
snout down in the water to drink and the nostril placement and everything.
I do wonder, however, about the sauropods' hesitance in entering the water
at all.  Depending on the species and the associated location, how would a
sauropod cool off?  I suppose shade would be an obvious way, but do you
feel that sauropods wouldn't use the water the same was as an elephant.  I
realize that the elephant similarities may occasionally be carried too
far, so I'm just curious to what anyone thinks about this issue.

I would note, however, that your thoughts on the greater risk by entering
water idea is good logic.  Some lions hate water, but others will take
advantage of animals crossing rivers.  Tigers do this as well (more I
believe), as do leopards and jaguars.  Good thinking!

Jack