Re: Resting Sauropods

 Peter Von Sholly <vonrex@gte.net> wrote:
> But what would happen to the sauropod neck when it tried to lie on its
> side?  Would the torsion on the cervicals be problematic as the neck
> twisted when the animal lay down and got back up?

Animals are usually capable of doing at least a mediocre job of whatever it
is they do a lot.  Still, it conjures up intriguing images... Would the
nuchal tendon yank the head back somewhat toward the shoulder blades once
freed of the burden of holding itself out against the force of gravity as
the sauropod lies down?  Would it be awkward for the sauropod to resume
standing after resting with the neck in such a position?  (I can't help
picturing a suspension bridge trying to perform this maneuver)!  How did
they do it?  Very carefully, I hope.

-- Ralph Miller III     gbabcock@best.com