Re: Resting and Dining Sauropods

On Tue, 14 Jul 1998, Peter Von Sholly wrote:

> Again, who says sauropods were exclusively herbiverous?  As omnivores, and
> possibly carrion eaters, they would get much more nutrition than otherwise
> and from less bulk consumed.

I don't know if this is true because of the poor plant material which the
sauropods would have ingested, but I think that most any plant material
will have more nutrition value than meat.  Is this correct?  Something
about the "nutrition pyramid" (not sure if this is the correct title for
it). Maybe Dr. Farlow could tell us if the nutrition value of the
plants in the sauropod diet would fall below that of carrion on the
"pyramid."

Still, I could see some sauropods as potential carrion eaters,
but I don't feel that this was probably their primary feeding behavior.

Thanks for the response.

Jack