Re: Resting Sauropods

In a message dated 7/15/98 4:29:19 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
moschops@zetnet.co.uk writes:

<< My guess is they just stood there. Giraffes do this - they are able to
 somehow lock their legs.  >>

This is true.  And I've seen cows sound asleep standing up.  But I've also
seen footage of giraffes resting on their stomach.  To stand up, they raise
themselves first onto their front legs, then onto their back legs.  This is
the same way many (all?) of the larger mammalian tetrapods seem to raise
themselves--watch a cow, horse, rhinoceros or elephant.  And I've seen all of
them--in life or in film--resting on their side as well.  There aren't living
tetrapods reptilian analogs, since they are all cold-blooded sprawlers.