CRO MAGNONS & ELOPTERYX

Replying to an earlier statement about purported
species-level distinctiveness of Cro Magnon man, Tom Holtz writes...

> I'd like you to be able to find a specific citation which lists Cro
> Magnon as other than a fully modern man.

Actually, this is not at all difficult, but for all the wrong
reasons I'm afraid. There are about 35 generic and specific-level
junior synonyms of _Homo sapiens_, and at various times virtually
every type of non-Caucasian Recent hominid has been awarded a
specific or even generic name. For an excellent historical review of
this area see Boulter's _Theories on Human Evolution_.

This is clearly splitting to the extreme though (plus there are
underlying motives), and they do not reflect the consensus view of
today. Cro Magnons are unquestionably fully modern _Homo sapiens_, as
Tom says.

ELOPTERYX

Did I miss a discussion on _Elopteryx nopscai_? Unfortunate, as I
recently examined all the type material. It's weird stuff, but I
*think* it is bird.

"Curse my metal body"

DARREN NAISH
darren.naish@port.ac.uk