Re: Mesozoic terrain

On Thu, 16 Jul 1998, Jeffrey Willson wrote:

> I believe it was L. Sprague de Camp in _Day of the Dinosaur_ who opined
> that, since grass had not evolved during the Mesozoic, ipso facto the
> terrain must have been cut up by erosion into innumerable gullies and
> ravines of small, medium, and large size. If true, this would certainly have
> had repercussions on dino locomotion and behavior.
>
> Now it "seems" to me that the multi-tonners, pretty much across the board,
> are not particularly well designed to negotiate this sort of rough terrain.
>
> Comments?

Here we go again with what these animals could not do.  Again, they were
extremely successful creatures which evolved over long periods of time.
If they could not deal with the environment they either a)would not have
survived, which of course they did, b) developed features which let them
deal with this environment, or c)migrated to an area where they could
survive.  I could not imagine Sauropods living in an environment they
were not capable of survival in , therefore the terrain in these areas
could not have posed that much of a threat.
-Bill Parker
Northern Arizona University

  How did my previous post turn into this turkey thread?!  Between that
and the cows we have the barnyard list.  Dinotipping!:-) I do like that.