Tetrapod note (was: Re: [Re: Resting Sauropods])

Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 10:41:36 -0700
Ralph Miller III wrote
>So, as you can see, the colloquial (dictionary) meanings of "tetrapod" and
>"reptile" differ markedly from the cladistic meanings.  And it is proper to
>refer to a bird as a "reptile" and a "tetrapod," whether you feel
>comfortable with such labels or not.
        I was under the impression that in general
biological/paleobiological circles (irrespective of cladistics), birds and
snakes were considered tetrapods, as tetrapod referred to animals which
share a four limbed heritage. Thus, amniotes, lissamphibia, and everything
down to something like _Ichthyostega_ were all tetrapods. Was I wrong?
        Wagner

                    "...To fight legends." - Kosh Naranek