Re: Stupid Turkeys

Wild turkeys are incredible survival machines.  Domestic turkeys have been
bred to oblivion.  While I can't argue whether mean intelligence goes up
or down, I can dispel one of your points below.

On Fri, 17 Jul 1998, Sheila Culbert wrote:

> 2)  Large scale turkey farms regularly use artifical insemination to
> reproduce because, left to their own devices, it doesn't necessarily
> happen.(Don't ask how this works.  You don't want to go there!)

But this has nothing to do with intelligence as in "Turkeys are too dumb
to ______(rhymes with cluck)!"
The reason is that the the breast meat of the Tom has been so artificially
selected for size he can no longer mount the hen.

There must be a special place in hell for breeders such as this.