Re: SHANTUNGOSAURUS

Peter Von Sholly wrote:

> To all:
> I have always thought that the tremendously deep lower jaw of
> Shantungosaurus looked quite odd in relation to the rest of the skull, but
> never thought much about it beyond that.  But looking at a picture of the
> actual fossil material, it appears that most of the top of the skull is
> missing and that such fragments as are preserved could be arranged
> differently (i.e. more in proportion to a normal hadrosaur skull).  Is it
> possible that the restorations we are familiar with are incorrect?

Yes.

The left dentary is all there so we know that it did have a deep jaw.
Both quadrates are known so we know how high the skull was, but the top
of the skull could have been more level. What I think is really wrong
and makes the skull look low, is the maxilla is placed to high on the
skull. It should be lower, thus the skull would be more 'normal'
looking.

Tracy