Re: Stupid Turkeys

Well, we Americans have a thing for large breasts as a rule.  So why should
the turkeys be an exception?

----------
From: Walt Owen <wowen@discover.net>
To: Dinosaur list <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Subject: Re: Stupid Turkeys
Date: Saturday, July 18, 1998 9:54 PM

> 2)  Large scale turkey farms regularly use artifical insemination to
> reproduce because, left to their own devices, it doesn't necessarily
> happen.(Don't ask how this works.  You don't want to go there!)

The reason is simple...  We have artificially selected birds with large
breasts.  The mechanics involved in mating are so physically impossible for
the breast-heavy domestic turkeys that the farmers must use artificial
insemination to get new stock. Profitable but inconvenient for the farmer,
Frustrating for the birds...

Regards,

Walt