Re: Mesozoic terrain - who needs grass anyway ?

At 06:55 16/07/98 -0500, J Willson wrote:

>I believe it was L. Sprague de Camp in _Day of the Dinosaur_ who opined
>that, since grass had not evolved during the Mesozoic, ipso facto the
>terrain must have been cut up by erosion .....

I'm surprised no paleobotanists have picked up on this one. Although there
was no grass we cannot not assume there was no ground covering vegetation
to help bind the soil together.  Apart from the obvious ferns, mosses,
horsetails, flowering plants began to diversify at the same time as
dinosaurs. Many of these would have been ground covering plants.