Re: Mesozoic terrain - who needs grass anyway ?

<< I'm surprised no paleobotanists have picked up on this one. Although there
 was no grass we cannot not assume there was no ground covering vegetation
 to help bind the soil together.  Apart from the obvious ferns, mosses,
 horsetails, flowering plants began to diversify at the same time as
 dinosaurs. Many of these would have been ground covering plants.

  I totally agree with the first part of your statement, but the angiosperms
began their diversification long after the dinosaurs did. Not until late
Cretaceous in any major way, according to paleobotantist Leo Hickey. Hickey
also states that this causes problems with the coevolution of angiosperms and
dinosaurian "low browsers", especially since the discovery of large Turonian
ceratopsids and hadrosaurs. Dan Varner.