CHAOYANGIA & LISSAMPHIBIA

Some of you seem to have taken the inferred position of _Chaoyangia_
out of context. At the moment, the data (as summarised by Matt) best
supports _Chaoyangia_ as a basal ornithurine. Paul Davis' new
(unpublished) cladogram did not put this taxon within a monophyletic
Enantiornithes.

I could argue further, but seeing as Paul has yet to publish I don't
think that would be fair.

Also, on lissamphibians, Matt Troutman wrote..

> I have read recently on the web that Lauren and Reisz are coming out
> (or already have?) with an idea that the closest group to
> lissamphibians are the lepospondyls (micorosaurs, lysorophids, etc.;
> monophyly has been questioned for this group).  Their supporting
> evidence is pretty strong from what I have read.  Has this been
> published yet?  And if so, how could I have missed it?

Laurin and Reisz are presently arguing for a monophyletic Amphibia
that, indeed, includes lissamphibians and lepospondyls. It has been
published as an abstract at least (_JVP_ 17 (3): 59A), and Reisz also
had a review article on tetrapod origins and early evolution in
_TREE_ not so long back. Adam Yates also has interesting stuff to
say on lepospondyl monophyly... unpublished as of now I believe.

"Every girl knows about the punctual blues"
 - - Bush, c. 1978.

DARREN NAISH
darren.naish@port.ac.uk