Re: Bakker says

I remember a program by a British botanist David Bellamy (e'en he!) who
surprised me by his observation that the world's largest deposit of carbon
was not in coal, but was the carbon locked into the cretaceous limestone as
calcium carbonate. And it is absolutely a _massive_ amount (I forget how
many gazillion of tons).

This carbon must have had an earlier source, and I have to wonder if the
extinctions were related to this source?

Incidentally he pointed out the possibility that we are in the process of
releasing this into the atmosphere again in enormous amounts by the effect
of acid rain, with unknown consequences. Looking at the karst in France
where I live, this is entirely believable.

My 2p

martin