Re: SAUROPOD RESTING

<<  Anybody know whether the typical river/stream bed is soft or firm? >>

  Growing up on the Mississippi, I'd have to say it's firm and shallow-at
least in the upper reaches- can't speak for the delta area south of Memphis.
Where there are springs, however, there is the danger of quicksand.
  To me, the problem with sauropods has always been finding water DEEP enough
to submerge them ala Burian's famous Brachiosaurus-in-the-fiord painting or
Knight's early sketch of Cope's Amphicoelias. If these scenes were supposed to
be occurring in river systems, there must have been a Jurassic Army Corps of
Engineers around to keep those channels deep enough. Not to mention lead
weights around the ankles of those living balloons to keep them submerged. Dan
Varner.