Re: Bakker says

Stephen Faust wrote:

> I've been following this thread for awhile. History would suggest that in
> human populations disease never kills everybody. Variation produces
> resistance.

I agree thoroughly with this observation.  Even today with the current
Aids epidemic we see some individuals who are able to tolerate the
disease.  And if a major disease were responsible, how do we explain the
other forms that also dissapear from the fossil record at the same
point?  Keep in mind that not just Dinosaurs died.  Plesiosaurs,
Icthyosaurs, Pterosaurs, and a large chunk of the flora also either
become extinct, or nearly so at the same time.  Even Foraminifera are
almost entirely wiped out, causing a ceasation of chalk production,
which has inly recently, I believe, began to recover.  In my mind, It is
unlikely that any disease, or even several, could be responsible for the
extinction of so many varied species at the same time.
On the whole, the impact theory makes the most sense to me.  Couple that
with the Deccan Trapps and mabe throw in a few viral or bacterial
agents, and viola! a major extinction!  Perhaps no one explanation
exists, perhaps the answer awaits under the next rock.
If our own species, as prolific as we are, were to die off, what might
be the cause?, and how much of it would be recorded in the fossil
record?

Keep turning over those rocks, it's the only way to the answer.

Bill Hinchman