RE: Bakker says

On Monday, July 20, 1998 4:32 PM, Dave L. Hardenbrook [SMTP:DaveH47@delphi.com]
wrote:
> At 03:07 PM 7/19/98 -0700, Caleb Lewis wrote:
> >(another conclusion that one can draw from this is that several
> >million years from now, earth is going to have a nitrogen atmosphere and
> >little or no oxygen at all)...
>
> I gather this is science's latest reason why the world is going to end...
> Did they offer any reason *why* the oxygen might be going down?

I believe it was Keith Rigby's group that first extracted oxygen-rich air from
the air bubbles in amber (or so he says).  At a lecture at NMNH some months
back, he suggested that subduction due to continental drift caused lowering of
sea levels of several hundred feet.  He went on to say that this exposed
massive quantities of organic material (formerly swamps) which quickly
oxidized.  His implication was that a lower oxygen level was a major impact on
fecundity, and thus... well, you know......
--
Curtis Olson
olson_c@mediasoft.net