Re: CHAOYANGIA & LISSAMPHIBIA

On Mon, 20 Jul 1998 darren.naish@port.ac.uk wrote:

> Also, on lissamphibians, Matt Troutman wrote..
>
> > I have read recently on the web that Lauren and Reisz are coming out
> > (or already have?) with an idea that the closest group to
> > lissamphibians are the lepospondyls (micorosaurs, lysorophids, etc.;
> > monophyly has been questioned for this group).  Their supporting
> > evidence is pretty strong from what I have read.  Has this been
> > published yet?  And if so, how could I have missed it?
>
> Laurin and Reisz are presently arguing for a monophyletic Amphibia
> that, indeed, includes lissamphibians and lepospondyls. It has been
> published as an abstract at least (_JVP_ 17 (3): 59A), and Reisz also
> had a review article on tetrapod origins and early evolution in
> _TREE_ not so long back. Adam Yates also has interesting stuff to
> say on lepospondyl monophyly... unpublished as of now I believe.

Whoa there, that's stereospondyls, not lepospondyls. I have confined my
analysis to true blue temnospondyls (that unfashionable backwater of
basal Tetrapoda, or near-Tetrapoda as the case may be). I have not looked
at lepospondyls and wouldn't like to say for for certain where the
Lissamphibia nests (though I am tentatively going along with Laurin and
Reisz for the moment, simply because it is the most comprehensive analysis
to date). Laurin and Reisz's work is published the ref is:

Laurin M & Reisz RR. 1997. A new perspective on tetrapod phylogeny. In:
Sumida S & Martin K, eds. Amniote origins - completing the the transition
to land. Academic Press: London, pg. 9-59.

If anyone is interested in temnospondyls (as if!) my MS has been accepted
so it shouldn't be too long now.

cheers

Adam Yates

PS "dinosaurs"- now this post should be acceptable to the list.