Re: Reelfoot rift (was Re: SAUROPOD RESTING)

Jeffrey Willson wrote:

> "James R. Cunningham" <jrccea@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>

> If any of you are interested in geology, the inclusion is circular, about
> 42.5 nautical miles in diameter

> A question asked in near-total but honest ignorance here...
> If it's circular, and it's not an impact crater, then what is it?
> Jeffrey Willson <jwillson@harper.cc.il.us>

It appears to be an inclusion, an upwelling from the mantle into the
crust. It is startlingly circular, and seems to be very old.  The age is
what makes me think it is probably not an impact crater. It lies along
the 38th parallel lineament, which is currently thought not to be an
impact chain after all. It sure does look like an impact though.
Jim