GIFFIN & GODZILLA

Emily Buchholtz and I are presently corresponding about locomotion in
the Eocene basilosaurid whales (her current area of research), and I
just discovered something remarkable I was previously unaware of.

Did you ever wonder what happened to Emily Giffin? I did. Well, turns
out she is now Emily Buchholtz. Dammit.. whoever decided that women
should change their surnames on getting married? (He says, fully
intending to change the surname of one certain woman to his own
within the year).

For those of you who don't know, Emily Buchholtz (as Giffin)
previously published a lot of stuff about the palaeoneurology of
extinct tetrapods. Her work indicates that tyrannosaurs and other big
theropod with short forearms truly had weak, degenerate arms (in
marked disagreement with what Ken Carpenter and a few others have
said about tyrannosaur arms), and that big quadrupedal dinosaurs like
stegosaurids and some diplodocids had comparatively weak forelimbs.
Which, as we all know, led Greg Paul to suggest that they may have
been obligate bipeds....

DANGER: GODZILLA SPOILER AHEAD

I saw Godzilla last night. Good fun, but I am tremendously angry that
they saw fit to kill it, and yet provide no indication that the whole
thing was all the result of human folly in the first place. And let
me get this straight.. the animal is benevolant (we know that it does
not really have any interest in harming people), all of its babies
are blown to pieces, it is shot at by every weapon available to the
US military, it is finally killed by great big missiles and takes
minutes to succumb, and we are supposed to be _happy_ when it
dies??? I trust the sequel features thousands of parthenogenetic
gojiras, reproducing en masse beyond control, stomping over all the
major cities of the world. Then I will feel happy. And yes I may be
being childishly sentimental, but I would much rather have NYC
declared the world's first Giant Mutant Lizard Conservation Park than
anything else.

"He's pregnant"

DARREN NAISH
darren.naish@port.ac.uk