Re: Tsintaosaurus and Mamenchisaurus

Hello Bill Parker,

spinorhinus and/or Mamanchisaurus:  As to Manenchisaurus, nobody goofed.
The wonderfully articulated skeleton of Mamenchisaurus hochuanensis was
excavated in 1957 a joint team from the Sichuan Museum and the Chonquing
Museum, requiring three months to expose the whole marvelous thing.
Excellent photographs document the completeness of the post-cranial
skeleton, and they are published in various books, including DINOSAURS FROM
CHINA by Dong Zhiming  (English translation by Angela C. Milner) published
by the British Museum (Natural History) and China Ocean Press (1988). page
37.  [If the incredible neck was not an adaptation to 'grazing'  IN WATER--
conceivably even to swimming --  then I'd like to hear a better
explanation.]

    As to Tsintaosaurus spinorhinus, it was excavated by Professor C.C.
Young in 1951 and named in 1958.  Photos in the book just referenced (pages
75 and 76) suggest to me that this 'spike' was probably NOT the result of
injury, because at its anterior base one clearly sees seemingly WELL-FORMED
central and latero-central bony support structures (ridges) that seemingly
would not be the result of injury.  Also, there is a distinct bifurcation at
the top on this 'spike' that looks natural and not trauma-related.  The
whole structure makes me wonder: Could it have supported an 'air bag' or
even a 'bellows-like' mechanism useful in producing loud, distinct calls?
Where are you Steven Speilberg? ;-)

    For what it's worth (or not worth), that my 'two bits' on the subject.

    Ray Stanford