MAMENCHISAUR NECKS

RAY D STANFORD wrote:

> If the incredible neck was not an adaptation to 'grazing'  IN WATER-> -
> conceivably even to swimming --  then I'd like to hear a better
> explanation.

I still fail to see how an incredibly long neck (particularly so in
_Mamenchisaurus_) is necessary for ground-level "grazing". Could it
possibly expend less energy to keep moving that ridiculous pipeline of
neck around than it would to just take a few steps to reach new fodder?
A grazer's neck only needs to be long enough to get the head down to
ground level. Long necks, IMO, evolved to reach high fodder, not graze.
And Ray, how does the long neck of _Mamenchisaurus_ serve as an
adaptation to swimming?

Brian (franczak@ntplx.net)
http://www.paleolife-art.com