Follow up (was Re: favorite dino & cladistics questions (very long))

At 09:59 AM 7/22/98 -0400, I wrote:
>but starting from the assumption that all
>terrestrial organisms are a clade, these definitions will always describe
>some clade.

Please note, by "terrestrial organisms" I didn't mean "life that lives on
land".  I meant "Terran organisms": aka Life on Planet Earth, aka the clade
Biota or Bionta, aka all living things currently known to humankind.

"Terrestriality", the ability to live on land, is of course a convergent
feature, having evolved independantly in tetrapods, pulmonate gastropods,
various lineages of crustaceans (land crabs, wood lice, etc.), tracheate
arthropods (centipedes, millipedes, insects), plants, etc.

Sorry for the poor word choice.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
College Park, MD  20742       Fax:  301-314-9661