Re: Dinosaur TV Trivia Question -Reply

Also, I saw that copies of the tape of this film are available in some
places real cheap - like $8-10. I got copies at a Caldor in Connecticut a
year ago and saw there were still some there this past July 4th. It's a
neat film to have so if you like to have classics, keep your eyes open in
the bargain bins.

Ralph Chapman

Dinosaur Interplanetary Gazette <dinosaur@dinosaur.org> wrote:
> >What do you know about a series in the 60's about two boys who are
in
> >a small boat and go through a cave and come out in a pre-historic
world?
> >I think it was called "Journey to the Beginning of Time."  It was
> >shown in segments on a late afternoon kids show called "Garfield
Goose"
on WGN-TV in Chicago.

This was a feature length film made in Czechoslovakia under the
direction
of Karel ("The Fabulous World of Jules Verne") Zeman about four boys
visiting the American Museum of Natural History and taking a boat ride
that
carries them back through time, encountering quite a variety of
prehistoric
landscapes and animals.  I believe that the film was released in
Czechoslovakia in 1954, and was released again (with the AMNH
scenes
added?) in 1967.  The prehistoric animal scenes were accomplished by a
variety of techniques (and with variable success) which included
stop-motion  animation, cut-out animation, puppets, and mechanical
props.
The scenery is often quite evocative, and appears to have been strongly
influenced by the paintings of Zdenek Burian.  The Garfield Goose show
ran
snips of the film, each with its own episode title (ex.: Episode 12, The
Woolly Mammoth).  I didn't see the whole film until decades later, as it is
now available on video.  The effects don't hold up to close scrutiny, and
the dubbing is very odd, but it has great sentimental value for those of us
who grew up wishing we had been those boys.

-- Ralph Miller III     gbabcock@best.com