Re: Paradoxically temporal

>   Why does the fact that _Eoraptor_ appears later or contemporaneously
>with _Plateosaurus_ in-and-of-itself disqualify it from being
>_Plateosaurus_'s ancestor?

It depends on the species concept being used.  The phylogenetic species
concept would argue that the ancestral species goes extinct upon
speciation, even if one of the daughter lineages is indistinguishable from
the ancestral lineage.  (I'm limiting myself to cladogenetic speciation
here - anagenesis is another issue altogether.)  As such, ancestors must
predate descendents in a perfect fossil record. But, if your species
concept accepts post-cladogenetic survival of the ancestor, and you are
willing to accept durations for species in the tens of millions of years,
then stratigraphy by itself is not a disqualifier.

chris

Christopher Brochu

Postdoctoral Research Scientist
Department of Geology