Re: DIPLODOCUS NECKS

Dan Varner wrote:

<Several years ago, I did some math. This statement is the most
hilarious thing to appear on this list, just ask my bank. Anyway,
after prodigous effort, I determined that a Diplodocus, given a 20
foot horizontal arc of neck-swing could conceivably cover one acre of
browsing area by walking only one-quarter of a mile (please check and
correct me if this is wrong).>

 [snip]

<The energy expended in rearing up a multi-ton body surely exceeds
that of moving air down a twenty foot trachea.
   Now I'm not saying that Diplodocus and kin never did the bipedal
lunch once in a while, I don't want to be an absolutist on this
matter. But I can't imagine designing a more efficient low-level
browser at this scale.>

  Quite possibly the *perfect* low level browser, though conceivably,
a bunch of stegosaurs would be able to do better, but probably ate
wholy different stuff than diplodocids, right?

  Anyway, jumping on the bandwagon, and relieved that I don't have to
think about *Harpymimus* and *Pelecanimimus* for the meanwhile (don't
ask) would the muscular capabilities Bakker has used repeatedly (and I
agree with them) for a stegosaur and "brontosaur" to rear up on its
hind legs tripod-style serve to aid *ahem* sexual endeavours?

  Oh, yes, assuredly they may have, but what I'm getting at is at the
fact that the muscular "lift-bridge" support of the diplo's back may
have been designed, perhaps soley, to hinch the male into a position
to mount the female? Being a *Diplodocus*, the female would have the
abilities too, but perhaps to support the body when she _knelt_ down
to lay eggs....

  Ooo, daring.

  It would seem, thinking as I write, that the same muscular lift
system would serve to aid stegosaur mating. The male rears up right
next to and behind the female, properly positioned so that when he's
up, he's ready to maybe take a step and. . . . The female's plates
notwithstanding, the stegosaur had bases on the plates that could move
them, at least the hip ones, or so some studies (and Bakker's are
prominent) say, and I know some studies have shown that at least *S.
stenops* has bases too broad to "wave" them.

  So, comments?

==
Jaime A. Headden

Qilong, the website, at: