Re: MAMENCHISAUR NECKS

Larry Dunn wrote:

> ---GSP1954@aol.com wrote:
>
> > As for Mamenchisaurus, the articulated skeleton in the ground
> clearly showed
> > the neck kinked strongly upwards at its base, as in Euhelopus and
> > Camarasaurus. So it was carried erect, not horizontal. The arms were
> probably
> > fairly long too. Mamenchisaurus was giraffe-like, not low slung.
>
> So then what does this say about certain amateur work done on sauropod
> morphology using a lot of high falutin' computer technology (and not a
> little media fanfare based on the origin of the computing power)?

Well since you brought it up...

I wrote an aricle for Prehistoric Times about sauropod necks. All I
wanted to do was write about hte different lengths and widths, but the
editor wanted me to give my comments on the Computer work. I thought I'd
articulate the individual cervical vertebrae of Apatosaurus lousaie and
A. excelsus. To my surprise, the neck had a natural downward curve.
Sure, it works on paper, but what about real life? I went to the AMNH to
check out their Apatosaur mount with an upward slant, and you know what
(as a temporary at work would say) the neck is disartictualed! In at
least 3 places, in two different ways. Either the top of the vertebra is
disarticulated or it's the bottom.

So, AFAIK, just because sauropods have long necks dosen't mean they were
'high' brouser. And don't think they stood on their hind legs, but that
dosen't mean they couldn't walk bipedally (Now your all confused).

As far as Mamenchisaurus is concerend, it, Euhelopoid, Omeiosaurids all
have beveled vertebrae that makes the neck stand erect, so to speak.

Tracy