Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 21:30:38 -0700 (MST)
From: William Gibson Parker <wgp@dana.ucc.nau.edu>
To: dinosaur@usc.edu
Subject: Explodosaurus fracturis

Dinosauria

Explodosaurus fracturis gen. et sp. nov.

Etymology:Explodosaurus- 'exploded lizard' refers to the
diagnostic
character of the fossil.  fracturis (Spanish) 'fractured'

Horizon + Locality: Permian, Mesozoic formations
worldwide.

Discussion: Explodosaurus fracturis is extremely common in
the fossil
record, found worldwide in a wide range of stratigraphic
levels.  The
fossil is always found in piles consisting of a few to
hundreds of small
fragments.  It is theorised here that upon death the
animal would explode
into thousands of small pieces making identification
impossible.
Fortunately this is the diagnostic character of the fossil
allowing it to
be readily identified as E. fracturis.  The diet of E.
fracturis is not
determinable due to the fact that no teeth have ever been
found that can
be attributed to E. fracturis.  Even when teeth are found
in situ with the
specimen they can always be attributed to another species
and therefore
must occur post-mortem.  As such pictoral recreations of
this animal are
almost impossible to determine which is unfornatunate for
the reason that
is many faunal assemblages E. fracturis is the most common
animal. :-)

-Bill Parker
Northern Arizona University

Please excuse the errors, this of course is in fun and
allows for
immediate identification of all those fossils in the
field, we all know
the ones!