From: Farlow
To: dinosaur
Subject: species
Date: Thursday, July 23, 1998 7:56AM

     Now that species concepts are being discussed, I have been reading an
     interesting treatment of just such matters, albeit for a group other
     than primates:

     W.H. Kimbel and L.B. Martin (eds.), 1993, Species, Species Concepts,
     and Primate Evolution.  Plenum Press.

     I found the paper by Niles Eldredge therein (What, if anything, is a
     species?") to be particularly informative.

     Changing the subject, now comes a query:  Does anybody out there off
     the top of her/his head know about publications that report values of
     the coefficient of variation for postcranial bones--and pedal
     phalanges in particular, if such data are available--for species of
     dinosaurs, non-dinosaurian archosaurs, birds, crocodilians, or
     lizards?