RE: More Piltdown, Osborn & Tyrannosaurus (was Re: Beautifully horrible)

Just in case there's someone in the English speaking world who's missed it,
"The Neandertals" by Trinkaus and Shipman (Alfred A Knopf, 1993) addresses
the question of the coloring of scientific results by attitudes (read
prejudices), politics, and personalities.  It also is a fascinating
introduction to the study of pre-man.

BTW, there's no "h" in Neandertals as printed in the book and in the title.
 Trinkaus and Shipman devote half a page (276) to explaining why they don't
use the "h"; namely that German and French writers don't use it, only
English speakers do, and after all, the valley of the new man (Neo - Ander
- Tal) is in Germany.  I believe the pendulum has swung back since their
book was published?  It's been five or six years...

T&S go into detail about the history of Piltdown man (Eoanthropus, as was).
 According to T&S, (p.308), those who clung to belief in Piltdown were
espousing a theory called "pre-Sapiens," in which man certainly evolved
from (an extremely ancient) ancestor "...that long predated (and was well
removed from) either the pre-Neandertals or their descendants, the brutish
Neandertals, both of which were destined for extinction."  T&S go on to
document that even the unmasking of the Piltdown fraud did not dissuade the
proponents of the pre-Sapiens theory, who simply looked around for other
evidence to support their theory.

The relevance of all this to this list is that even paleontologists are not
immune to emotional pressures.  Even with the best will our emotions, which
set our goals, override our rationality.

IMO, anyone involved in science and the give-and-take of scientific debate
should read this book.  Of course, present company can be excepted - can't
it?