Re: THOUGHTS ON SAUROPOD NECKS

Let me make this very clear. I do NOT think most sauropod necks were
horizontal. In camararasaurs, Euhelopus and Mamenchisaurus the neck base is
consistently and strongly flexed upwards at the base. The dorso-cervicals are
strongly beveled to force this posture. Mounted skeletons that fail to show
this posture are in error, and close examination shows disarticulation of the
vertebrae.

Ergo, sauropods must have been flexing those hyper-log cervical ribs, and
sliding them past one another, as they lowered their heads to drink. Claims
they could not do so have more to do with (typical) human negativism than what
animals can really do. The ribs were poorly ossified, and should have been
quite flexible in life. There is nothing like them in living animals, the
overlapping ribs of crocs are much shorter.

My volumetric models suggest that large sauropod necks made up about 10% of
over all mass, presuming their was a lot of air in there. Argentinosaurs
weighed 80-100 tonnes, Amphicoelias was very probably in the triple digit
range. Mamenchisaurus was a modest 14 tonnes, 30 tonnes estimates are way too
high.

GSPaul