From: joe [mailto:jdaniel@aristotle.net]
Sent: 24 July 1998 15:31
To: John Clavin
Subject: Re: spinning stegos

John Clavin wrote:

> The stegosaur doesn't have to do any crazy gymnastics to bring its
foremost
> weapon to bear - it just does what is natural - runs away.

Except that the stego couldn't run away.  The way those animals are built
they
couldn't have run anywhere near the speed of any predator worthy of the
name.
Any animal wanting to munch on a stego could easily run around to the front
and
attack the front flanks and neck below the plates, quite easily done for any
predator with either claws on its feet or overall size not in excess of the
stego (I think I've included every predator here).  Thus the stego had to
find
some way of geting the tail into play near the front quickly.  I don't think
slow rotation on all fours would cut it.  Therefore I proposed the brief hop
the back legs and swinging around.  Again, I'm not talking about a
ballerina's
spin or anything, just a simple half turn using the weight distribution the
stegos have to facilitate a quick turn.

Joe Daniel