Re: species

In a message dated 98-07-24 16:10:42 EDT, znc14@TTACS.TTU.EDU writes:

<< Look at the *biological* species concept: "a group of continuously
 interbreeding populations" (paraphrased). This concept seems to be applied,
 or at least concieved of, outside of an historical context. When we place it
 in an historical context, what happens? When one or more populations becomes
 reproductively isolated from the group, is the original species changed?
         The answer is a resounding "YES". >>

So is there just one species of barn owl, or are there fifty? If you say that
new species arise whenever the population mix changes, that way lies madness.
I can't think of a more impractical definition of a species.