Re: TETRAPODS, PHYLOGENETIC TAXONOMY, AND CLEAR DEFINITIONS

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr. wrote:

> I'll try and keep this one brief.

So will I.  Why does it seem that certain people on this list are incapable of
comprehending simple English?

> >Would it?  If the diagnosis of Dinosauria is as you state, then an animal
> must have
> >both those features to be a dinosaur.
>
> Ankylosaurs don't have a perforate acetabulum: they must not be dinosaurs
> under your rules.

I said **IF**, didn't I?  See, right there: "If the diagnosis of Dinosauria is
as
you state, then . . ."  The presence of the word "if" makes the statement a
conditional one: _if_ X is true, _then_ Y follows.

-- Jon W.