Re: Paradoxically temporal

In a message dated 98-07-25 04:23:50 EDT, edels@email.msn.com writes:

<< This definition for speciation fits best, considering all the problems
 with other definitions:  E.g. Ability to mate - Tigers and Lions are
 separate and distinct species, yet they can mate, and their offspring
 (Ligers, and Tigons) occasionally can sucessfully mate as well.  (By
 sucessful I mean resultant offspring). >>

I have yet to see two fossils mate successfully and/or produce a viable
offspring. How, then, do we talk about species for fossils?