Re: The Potentials... for discussion

Bernard wrote:
> Some heretical thoughts/questions:
>
> - what % of all the big (>1m) vertebrates do you feel we have discovered
>    for the secondary era ?
> - what could be found in the far future (65 millions years) from our
>    civilization if earth was shot tomorrow by a big meteor impact?
>    (I know some kind of answer for this one)
> - what could
>       1- be conserved
>       2- be in a position to be found after such a long period?

The July issue of American Scientist or New Scientist has a cover
article about this issue I think: it is called "Fossils of the
Future" or something like that.

> Conclusion: Do we have any reasonnable proof that a kind
>       of dinosaurian civilization never existed?

In paleontology, it is virtually impossible to "prove" that something
has not existed; one can only relie on what actually has been found,
not on what has not been found. But of course, all
circumstantial evidence that we do have (fossil record, study of
extant dinosaurs, ...) makes the hypothesis that dinosaurs somehow
did develop a kind of civilization or culture an extremely unlikely
one.

Pieter Depuydt