Re: The Potentials.... [LONG REPLY]

On Mon, 27 Jul 1998, Allan Edels wrote:
>     By the way, intelligence might become a goal in and of itself for
> evolution, and might become a 'runaway' specialization - sort of the problem
> of positive feedback (electrical engineers, back me up on this)....

Some in the brain community believe this is exactly what happened in us.
But you've still got to have an adaptive value other than intelligence for
its own sake.  Many feel language is the adaptive value, that it is
adaptive because it allows one to better take advantage of social
contacts, partnerships.  One can imagine sexual selection fitting in too.
"I love the way he talks."  In this view our brain is analogous to a
lambeosaurs crest!