INVICTA'S TOY DINOSAURS

On the subject of model dinosaurs, Betty C asked...

> Does anyone have a list of the London Museum's releases oh so many
> years ago? I mean what exactly they had in the whiole series?

Betty is referring the the NHM's (then BMNH) series made by Invicta
Plastics. The models were first released as single-colour moulded
plastic (i.e. the red tyrannosaur was made of red plastic), while
later a flexi-painted series was released: the same models but made
of a soft, flexible plastic and with snazzy colour schemes. The whole
set is (off the top of my head, so forgive me if I forget any):

Plesiosaurus
Ichthyosaurus (with stand)
Liopleurodon
Mamenchisaurus
Brachiosaurus
Cetiosaurus
Diplodocus
Apatosaurus
Scelidosaurus
Triceratops
Stegosaurus
Stenonychosaurus (=Troodon)
Baryonyx
Tyrannosaurus
Megalosaurus
Iguanodon
Lambeosaurus
Pteranodon
Dimetrodon
Glyptodon
Mammuthus
Balaenoptera (with stand)

Note that there was no mosasaur, contra Betty.

The Stenonychosaurus was a late released, relatively limited edition
model that was not in production for long. Liopleurodon was also a
late release. Dimetrodon and Lambeosaurus were latecomers that were
released just before the first batch came out in flexi-painted, but
for an unknown reason Stenonychosaurus, Dimetrodon and Lambeosaurus
were never released in flexi-painted (Liopleurodon was). Oh well. A
display stand for the models is also commercially available: it is
huge, and mine is sitting on a wardrobe at my girlfriend's mum's
house. As is one of the Safari Marine Life display stands I have.

"Just like a dream to me"

DARREN NAISH
darren.naish@port.ac.uk