Re: The Potentials....

I always thought that pterodactyloids might make decent candidates for this sort
of speculation. A flightless pterosaur would have a relatively large brain,
plantigrade feet and ape-like posture. The bone supporting the propatagium might
be co-opted into an opposable digit - is it in fact homologous to our thumbs?

It might not be as satisfying as envisioning an intelligent _Troodon_, but the
thought of fuzzy, erect bipeds with robust pinkies does have its charm.

Matt.
mceleskey@cabq.gov
http://www.io.com/~mwalk/hmnh/hmnhmain.html

P.S.: Didn't someone recently mention the suggestion that primates evolved from
flightless bats? Is there a reference for that or is it more idle speculation?