RE: spinning stegos

Dann Pigdon wrote
>In general there tends to be a greater emphasis towards rearward defenses
>amongst many dinos. Ankylosaurs and stegosaurs with their clubs/spikes,
>whether as active defence (spike in the face, club in the shin) or
>as a passive one (false heads on ankylosaurs perhaps). Diplodocid
>whip-tails (whether of the bull-whip or cat-o-nine tail variety) and
>shunosaur tail clubs/spikes. These all seem to be of the slower
>moving varieties of dinosaur. Could there be a correlate between
>the speed at which a dinosaur could escape predation and the tendancy
>for rearward defence?

Interesting (and logical) idea there Dann. Off the top of my head I can't
think of any speed merchants with a rearward defence. Can anybody think of
an example that would disagree with this theory?

For some reason I've got an image of a World War Two heavy bomber airplane
stuck in my mind - they almost all had rear facing guns to try to deal with
the much faster fighters. But in modern times when the speed of "bombers"
and "fighters" is more comparable, the rear facing guns aren't a
feature....a slightly off topic analogy I know, but with striking
similarities.

John