Re: WHAT I SAW AT THE NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC PART II

Greg Paul (the most Paulian of us all) wrote:

<Caudipteryx - On the better skeleton the profiles of the left ischium
and pubis are preserved as impression in the sediment. They are in
full articulation which each other and the left ilium. The pubes were
barely retroverted, they are basically vertical. The pubes were also
extremely long, probably to make the belly large in this herbivore.
The ischia are similar to those of dromaeosaurs, troodonts and
oviraptors in having a large triangular obturator process, the
articulated ischium confirms that the dorsal edge lacks any dorsal
process.>

  [SNIP!]

<Considering that Caudipteryx had all the latter features,>

  I snipped 'em, so sue me!

<...it was probably a secondarily flightless dinosaur related to
oviraptorosaurs (the lower jaws are very similar) that descended from
fliers more advanced than Archaeopteryx.>

  Okay, that helps. At least I reconstructed the pubis in this mesial
position (not propubic, but not opisthopubic, in that "twilight zone"
of positions I like to call "mesopubic"), and felt it was parsimonious
at least. What about the tip of the obturator flange; it seems to have
a squared-off end. Was wondering why.

  Time to get Caudi ready for Qilong.

==
Jaime A. Headden