Putting pictures on websites

I tried this once before on this list (I have the scars to prove it) but
never got a satisfactory answer.  I took a great deal of time to think
about the issue and I want to see if I can get a better resolution now.

I will break my inquiry down into several issues:

1. I want to put pictures I HAVE TAKEN of skeletons in museums  on my
website.  I am not selling anything.  I have nothing to gain from doing
this except the satisfaction that I am spreading my love for dinosaurs to
others.  Do I need permission to do this?  Who do I get it from?  Why
should I need permission?

2. Do the same rules apply to in situ sites?  How about in situ displays?
They are not an artistic view, but are supposed to be accurate
representations of life.

3. How about sculptures in the public view?  By this, I mean sculptures
that are on display OUTSIDE a museum.  If it is free for all to see, why
would I need permission from anybody to put a picture of it on my site
(this is not something I am even interested in doing, I am looking to
understand a bit about artistic copyright)?  How do news shows get around
this?

The reason I ask is that I have several pictures of tyrannosaurs in albums
at home that I have taken legally (I always ask in a museum if it is okay
to take photos), that I am free to show anybody I want, that are of
specimens that most people do not get a chance to see.  I want to show
people.  I am allowed to send copies of my photos to people.  I am allowed
to send them electronically.  Why should this change if I post them on a
website?

I am not trying to start a war, I only want information, so please be civil.

Darryl Jones         <dinoguy@interlog.com>
Visit my webpage at:
http://www.interlog.com/~dinoguy
Some days you're the dog,