Re: back to science

way back at the opening of the Dinosaurs of Jurassic Park exhibit at the
94 SVP, I got to listen to Ken Carpenter expounded over dinosaur eggs in
the dinosaur egg case room, and I "think" I recall him saying that
almost ALL dinosaur eggs are broken in that 1) hatched eggs are broken
out by the dinosaur itself, and 2) the un-hatched dinosaur eggs are
broken as the egg itself is buried and dehydrated.  Dehydration reduces
the volume of the egg in the matrix around it, and the weight of the
soil crushes the eggs when the insides dry up.  The 'bottoms' are
usuaully uncrushed so THAT is why preperators prep the bottoms first.
Or so I heard.

-Betty Cunningham