Pterosaur flight

Matthew Troutman wrote:

> <<How likely is the possibility that they flew more or less like bats?
> I've always thought of pterodactyloids (and I guess our late Cretaceous
> biggies) as being hybrids of birds and bats, at least as far as flight
> mechanisms go. Is this reasonable?  Way off?  Kinda sorta but not really
> plausible?>>
>
> Pterosaurs, in their flight apparatus, were more similiar to birds.
> They had a keeled sternum (the carina or keel in pterosaurs is the
> interclavicle according to Dave Peters), an expanded sternum, and an
> elongate coracoid.  Wellnhofer (1991) has reconstructed the pterosaur
> myology for the flight apparatus and he has concluded that though it is
> different from bird myology in some small details, it is overall very
> similiar.  Pterosaurs also have a pteroid bone that supported the
> brachipagatium, which would have functioned much like the alula in
> birds.  The fiber-supported membrane was similiar from that of the avian
> wing because each of the fibers supported like feathers.

I think that Pterosaurs and Birds few by the use of the same muscles,
but from differant directions. The sternum in Birds is large, so those
muscles that attach there are large, but the ends that connect to the
arm area is small. Whilst in Pterosaurs the humerual crest is large and
the sternum is smaller.

Tracy