Re: Back-evolution of limbs. -Reply

It has been noted that:

==>I do not know of any flying animal that never comes down
eventually. In order to facilitate this, flying creatures retain a
terrestrial locomotor ability of some sort.<==

I suspect the need to come down (in vertebrates at least, I suspect it
may be possible not to come down if you were a spider for instance)
boils down to sex - it's very difficult to imagine laying eggs (or
even live birth) in mid air! Something which is considerably easier in
water (hence more underwater flyers), both for the birthing female and
the newly born offspring - one major limiting factor. And once down of
course you need to be able to do something whilst there. Bats have a
solution, birds have others.

Lez

Leslie Noe

Centre of Environmental, Earth and Applied Science Research,
School of Environmental and Applied Sciences,
University of Derby,
Kedleston Road,
Derby, DE22 1GB,
England.