Re: [Re: [RE: Origins of flight]]

Dinogeorge@aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 98-04-30 03:17:53 EDT, archosaur@usa.net writes:
>
> << This was brought up before, so I'll just say those fish and frogs fly, but
> they don't ornithop. >>
>
> I'm still trying to figure out whether the verb should be "ornithopt" or
> "ornithopter," as in, "birds are specialized for ornithopting" or "birds are
> specialized for ornithoptering." Because, you see, the "er" ending does >not<
> denote the performer of an action, but belongs with the "pt" from the Greek
> "pter," meaning wing. An "ornithopter" is a device so called because its
> propulsive units flap like bird's wings, just as a "helicopter" is a device so
> called because it has rotating wings. I'm leaning toward "ornithoptering."
I hate when grammer gets in the way like this. I was a little lost on how to
write that. I found myself argueing over ornithopt and ornthop. I suppose I
could have said ornithopter. Let's try  it.

 This was brought up before, so I'll just say those fish and frogs fly, but
they don't ornithopter.

I still don't see it working. Seems I'll have to change the whole sentence.

This was brought up before, so I'll just say that those fish and frogs fly, but
they don't do it by ornithoptering.

Does that one sound better? I think it does.

Archosaur J