Re: Origins of flight-Reply

In a message dated 98-05-01 07:27:53 EDT, JNorton@MAILBOX.UNE.EDU writes:

<< Ornithop?  Ornithopter?  What ever happened to the term "powered
 flight"?  Isn't this sufficient to describe the use of flight musculature of
 some kind to counteract the force of gravity and keep a creature in the
 air?  Why do we have to invent another term? >>

"Powered flight" and "flapping flight" have been objected to elsewhere on the
grounds that they're either not specific enough or too cumbersome. I'll go
with any consensus on a single word that stands for the kind of flying that
modern birds and bats do that we can all agree on. I have no preferences here.